Hiring Returning Retirees
Effective January 1, 2009, departments must submit a Retired Employee Approval Form for all hiring requests for returning retirees.
Human Resources was delegated approval authority for returning retirees (except for exceptions to policy which must be approved by the Chancellor). Human Resources will be responsible for tracking and reporting all returning retirees to the Chancellor and the Office of the President on a quarterly basis.
Copies of the revised documents can be found in the Administrator's area of At Your Service: http://atyourservice.ucop.edu/administrators/ret_savings/rehired_rets.html
Please follow the steps below to request to reemploy a retiree:
- Department reviews the Policy and Implementing Procedures.
- Retiree must complete and sign the UCRP Retirement Waiver Form
- Department creates a short term exception requisition and completes the UCOP Retired Employee Approval Form.
- On the online short term exception requisition located at the bottom of the online form in the Additional Comment Section the department types "Returning Retiree."
- If the salary exceeds the midpoint or represents a 25% or greater increase, this will require the department to provide a justification to Compensation for review/approval. If the individual returns to the same position they retired from at their same pay, Compensation approval is not required if it exceeds the midpoint or is above 25%.
- Fax the following to Records (858-822-2857)
- Short term exception requisition confirmation page
- UCOP Retired Employee Approval Form
- UCRP Rehired Retiree Election Form
- Salary justification if required.
- If the request constitutes a variation to policy (i.e. greater than 43% or longer than 12 months) the UCOP Retired Employee Approval Form is sent to the Chancellor for review/approval.
- Human Resources will notify the department if the request is approved or denied.
- If approved, the department will then complete the PPS entry.
- Human Resources will be responsible for tracking and reporting all Returning Retirees to the Chancellor and the Office of the President.
Please note: Extension of a current returning retiree appointment is not allowed per UCOP and if the services of this retiree are needed beyond the approved time, a new short term exception requisition and UCOP Retired Employee Approval Form (additional justification) must be completed and submitted to Human Resources for approval using the above steps.