*For NIH NRSA Fellowships (F30, F31, or F32), please go here.
Institutional Information for Health Sciences Fellowships & Faculty Scholarship Awards and for Acceptance forms:
UCSD is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, owned by the State of California, and is a public/state controlled institution governed under the Board of Regents.
UCSD's DUNS # 80-435-5790
UCSD Taxpayer ID # (TIN) 956006144
UCSD NIH Entity ID # (EIN) 1956006144A1
AAALAC Accreditation Date 2/18/2011
UCSD Congressional District: CA-049 (Main Campus); CA-053 (Hillcrest and Rady's); CA-052 (SIO) NEW!!!
HS SPPO Location on UCSD Main Campus: HS SPPO's Location: IMG - Building 2 [Listed as building #851 on the map below] Entrance door is green and is on the north-facing side of the building; west of the bridge to the VA Hospital; south of the Stein Building; and east of the Med Ed Building. Once inside, go to your right. I am in room 127.
Fellowships / Faculty Scholarship Awards Process
Health Sciences Postdoctoral and Faculty Scholarship Applications, Professional Degree Applicants: M.D. or Pharm.D.. Applicants or Dual Degree applicants (M.D./Ph.D. and Pharm.D./Ph.D.), as well as all Health Sciences NIH LRP applicants.
- Please note: TheOffice of Graduate Studies should be contacted for Predoctoral fellowships for Ph:D. single degree students enrolled through OGS.
Rachel Cook signs as Institutional Official and/or Contract and Grant Officer as well as signs on behalf of Donald Larson when a Fiscal Officer's signature is required. Additionally, she signs as the official representing IRB and IACUC officials on agency form pages requiring signature. Melanie David signs in Rachel's absence and Gene Hasegawa signs on behalf of Donald Larson.
For Biohazards or Lab Safety Certifications contact Theresa Hull in EH&S 858 534-5366, assistant to Brenda Wong, the Biosafety Officer for a certification letter. Note: EH&S requires several days lead time.
Minimum requirements for institutional level signatures:
- A copy of the application & a copy or URL link to agency guidelines should be emailed or sent to Rachel at least 5 working days prior to submission.
- Electronic copies are preferred to paper. The research text may be in draft format.
- Applicants using Proposal Central can grant Rachel on line view access to their application, and do not need to print or email application copies.
- The hard-copy original signature page, with original department level signatures must be delivered to Rachel's office for signature. All department-level signatures (mentor, chair, etc) must be acquired prior to bringing applications to Rachel Cook for signature.
- NEW!!! You will need to complete the PHS Disclosure Form at the time of submission ONLY if you are applying to one of the following agencies: [Please complete and submit online + cc Rachel Cook at email@example.com. For more information on completing the form, please see this link!]
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- PHS Agencies
- Office of Global Affairs (OG)
- Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health (OASH)
- Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR)
- Agency for Health Care Research & Quality (AHRQ)
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
- Indian Health Service (IHS)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Administration for Children and Families (ACF)
- Alliance for Lupus Research (ALR)
- American Cancer Society (ACS)
- American Heart Association (AHA)
- American Lung Association (ALA)
- Arthritis Foundation (AF)
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF)
- Lupus Foundation of America (LFA)
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- Not required: UCSD numbers, RES Forms, PI Assurance Forms, Conflict of Interest Forms (only pertains to agencies not listed above), PI Exception Forms, UCSD numbers, and internal budgets are not required for fellowship/scholarship applications.
What is being reviewed: Institutional information for correctness, agency policies, terms and conditions, any required budgets but only to the extent the budget conforms to agency requirement and departmental policies, evidence the department business office and the faculty mentor or sponsor are aware of and support the application.
The Department business office and faculty mentor are responsible for ensuring the applicant meets the agency's eligibility requirements. Any eligibility statements required by the funding agency must be signed by the department chair. Rachel will sign on behalf of the institution, if the agency requires, but only after the chair has first signed the statement.
Budgets: many fellowship applications are awarded by formula, but some agencies provide an institutional or supply allowance. The expectation is that those funds will be used to support the fellow's health insurance first. However, individual departments may allow the other use of the funds for supplies, etc., in consultation with the faculty mentor, provided the fellow's health insurance will be covered by other sources.
- Important Note: Under the University's federally negotiated indirect cost rate agreement, indirect costs are not requested in fellowship applications, even when the agency allows for indirect costs, and should not be budgeted.
Various Agency Electronic Application Systems
eRA Commons & Grants.gov: NIH F32, F31, & F30 Individual NRSA Fellowship Applications
For more information on NIH Individual NRSA Fellowship Applications, please go to this section of the HS SPPO Wiki: HSSPPO:Fellowships FacultyScholarshipAwards/NIHNRSAFellowships
'Grants@Heart Time:*American Heart Association (AHA) Applications*
The HS SPPO internal deadline for the Western States Affiliate AHA January 14, 2014 deadline are as follows:
- Initiate application in AHA online submission system and select Rachel Cook as the Grant Officer and Donald Larson as the Financial Officer. Once you initiate your application and select Rachel as the Grants Officer, she will be able to login and view your application; NEW!!! Complete the new Financial Conflict of Interest Form. After completing, scroll to the bottom and press submit to submit the form online. Once this is done, please email me to let me know this has been submitted. NEW!!!
- 1/6 at 8:00 AM, complete online forms and budget for initial review;
- 1/8 at 8:00 AM, Postdoc Applications should be complete and all files uploaded into the system. Email Rachel that the application is ready for final review;
- 1/12 at 8:00 AM, Postdoc Applications should be finalized and released to Rachel for submission (submit to Grants Officer).
Western States Affiliate: Any finalized application received on the due date cannot be given a guarantee that it will be successful submitted by the deadline. Though the deadline for AHA is stated as 5:00 PM Central Time on 1/14/2014 (thus 3:00 PM Pacific Time), everything must be received and submitted no later than the close of business 1/12/2014.
NOTE: If you are submitting an application for the National AHA January 17, 2014 deadline, then please follow these dates:
- Initiate application in AHA online submission system and select Rachel Cook as the Grant Officer and Donald Larson as the Financial Officer. Once you initiate your application and select Rachel as the Grants Officer, she will be able to log in and view your application; NEW!!! Complete the new Financial Conflict of Interest Form. After completing, scroll to the bottom and press submit to submit the form online. Once this is done, please email me to let me know this has been submitted. NEW!!!
- 1/9 at 8:00 AM, complete online forms and budget for initial review;
- 1/13 at 8:00 AM, Postdoc Applications should be complete and all files uploaded into the system. Email Rachel that the application is ready for final review;
- 1/15 at 8:00 AM, Postdoc Applications should be finalized and released to Rachel for submission (submit to Grants Officer).
National: Any finalized application received on the due date cannot be given a guarantee that it will be successful submitted by the deadline. Though the deadline for AHA is stated as 5:00 PM Central Time on 1/17/2014 (thus 3:00 PM Pacific Time), everything must be received and submitted no later than the close of business/16/2013.
Proposal Central: Various *Applications Submitted through this Portal*
Applicant should choose University of California, San Diego - Health Sciences for the institutional name. This can most easily be found by searching on city & La Jolla (not San Diego). (Grant applications will use The Regents of the University of California, University of California San Diego).
Do not use any other versions of the University name which might appear. Once the applicant has started an application, he or she should grant both Rachel Cook and the department fund manager view access in Proposal Central. Fund managers may require an applicant to grant the fund manager edit capabilities.
Note: regarding CDMRP (DOD) applications. They will not accept late applications, so please plan in advance for an early submission. Unlike NIH, CDMRP will not postpone or delay deadlines due to natural disasters or server problems. The onus is on the applicant and they expect applications to be submitted early.
DOD CDMRP Programs & Due Dates for Applications that go through HS SPPO:
|| Award Limit
|| Years Allowed
|| LOI Due
"Ready to Review" Draft
Due 8:00 AM to HS SPPO
"Ready to Submit" Final
Due 8:00 AM to HS SPPO
| LCRP Career Development Award (FY13)
|| $240,000 (no IDC)
|| 2 years
(Optional Nested Postdoctoral Fellow Trainseeship)
$240,000 (no IDC)
$360,000 (no IDC) for Nested Postdoc
| 2 years
Education Grant Agreements in support of a Resident or Residency Programs
These are agreements from industrial sponsors, such as pharmaceuticals. Agreements should be forwarded to Rachel Cook for review and acceptance, and any negotiations with the agency regarding terms and conditions.
Once a fully executed agreement has been received back from the sponsor, the department needs to contact Rachel Cook for award processing and IFOPAL set-up.
NIH Loan Repayment Programs (LRP)
The NIH Loan Repayment Programs (LRP) is not a fellowship program as such. If an applicant is selected, NIH will make payments for educational loans directly to the lender on behalf of the applicant. The applicant applies on line with the NIH LRP program, but must designate an institutional official or administrative officer for certifying the applicant's institutional salary and commitment to research. Rachel Cook serves as the Institutional Official for all UCSD Health Sciences NIH LRP applications. General Eligibility Requirements: All eligible researchers and scientists, including women, individuals from underrepresented groups, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply for loan repayment. The general eligibility criteria applicable to all five extramural LRPs are listed on the following link: http://www.lrp.nih.gov/eligibility/eligibility_of_individuals.aspx. Apply online today! https://www.lrp.nih.gov/OASSecurity/apply.aspx. LRP website for more information:http://www.lrp.nih.gov Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/nihlrp.
Where do you go if HS SPPO will not be submitting your application?
Predoctoral (Ph.D.) Fellowships Faculty Scholarship Awards Applications are signed by Dr. Kim Barrett, Dean of Graduate Studies. Applicants and departments should contact Zoe Zilizk Michel, the Graduate Fellowships Faculty Scholarship Awards Advisor, x22938 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications for MSP (M.D./Ph:D) students enrolled in Medical Education are handled by Rachel Cook, the same as Health Sciences Fellowships Faculty Scholarship Awards/Scholarship applications.
General Campus Postdoctoral Fellowships & Faculty Scholarship Awards Applications: if the prospective fellow's appointment will remain in the General Campus department, the application should be handled by OCGA. Contact Pamela Alexander at email@example.com or x40240 for details.
How to Obtain an IFOPAL
Fellowships Faculty Scholarship Awards and Scholarship Awards, and Educational Grant Agreements
Most agencies will require the fellow to formally accept an award. Some agencies have formal contracts or agreements which also must be signed by an institutional official, either a fiscal officer, a contract and grant officer, or administrative official. Award documents should be taken or sent to Rachel Cook for review. Rachel will sign on behalf of the University. Because many private funding agencies now include patent clauses and other problematic terms and conditions, it is important that award documents be reviewed before the fellow and/or the institution signs and accepts a fellowship agreement. In some cases, award terms will need to be negotiated with the sponsoring agency prior to formal acceptance of the award.
How to obtain an IFOPAL for said awards
Contact Rachel Cook in HS SPPO for award processing and IFOPAL set-up.
Sample Fellowships / Faculty Scholarship Awards Documents
- Fellowships Faculty Scholarship Awards vs Grant Example
- Fellowships Faculty Scholarship Awards Signature Page
- Note: do NOT use this signature page unless so directed by Rachel Cook. This is not a common form that is used.
Postdoctoral & Medical Student Non-NIH & NIH Funding Opportunities
Funding opportunities listed for postdoctoral researchers are available to researchers between completion of a doctoral degree and acceptance of a faculty position. For more information, please see Fogarty International Center's Site on Advancing Sciences for Global Health.
Moreover, a plethora of information on funding opportunities and application resources can be found here: NIH Office of Intramural Training & Education Resources.